Book-length Manuscripts from the KEDS Project
Analyzing International Event Data (2001)
Philip A. Schrodt, Deborah J. Gerner
This is a book-length manuscript that covers event data in general and the KEDS project in particular.
Update March 2012: We've been continuing to use the first three chapters for instructional purposes, so these have been slightly updated and reformatted to include the bibliographic referencesF.
- Preface and Table of Contents [.pdf]
- Chapter One: International Event Data [.pdf 2012, includes Appendix] [.pdf 2001]
- Chapter Two: Fundamentals of Machine Coding
[ .pdf 2001 ]
- Chapter Three: Statistical Characteristics of Event Data
[ .pdf 2001]
- Chapter Four: Clustering Methods [ .pdf ]
- Chapter Five: Sequence Analysis Methods [ .pdf ]
- Chapter Six: Hidden Markov Models [ .pdf ]
- Chapter Seven: Conclusion [ .pdf ]
- Bibliography [ .pdf ]
- Appendix: Event Coding Systems [ .pdf ]
Patterns, Rules and Learning: Computational Models of International Behavior (1994, revised 2004)
Philip A. Schrodt
This book-length manuscript discusses a general approach to the computational modeling of political behavior using patterns, rules, and learning. Techniques discussed include rule-based models, machine learning methods, and event sequence analysis. The original manuscript was completed 1994; this version includes an epilogue written in 2004.
Link to Adobe .pdf file of the book (287 pp, 2.6 Mb)
LAST UPDATED: 16 AUGUST 2005